Waiting with Purpose
by Jeannie Ewing
All of life involves waiting. We wait at stoplights. We are caught in traffic jams. We agonize over medical test results. We hang on to a much-anticipated getaway. Sometimes, we wait to finish a project, welcome a new relationship, or open our hearts to the work God has begun in us. Regardless of how often we wait or upon what, Jeannie Ewing explains with clarity and encouragement how we can use the moments of waiting in our lives to grow spiritually. Waiting with Purpose will show you why God asks you to wait and how He is speaking to you in the times when nothing seems to be happening.Hardback $19.99 | Paperback $14.99 | Kindle $9.99
Buying for a reading group? Get a carton of 12 at a 20% discount! Only $144 plus $10 shipping. Click on the PayPal link below to activate your order.
With Al Kresta on the Kresta in the Afternoon Show (February 23, 2018) concerning her book Waiting with Purpose.
With Kyle Heimann on the Kyle Heimann Show 390 (February 20, 2018) concerning her book Waiting with Purpose.
With Cyrus Simcoe on Morning Air on Relevant Radio (February 9, 2018) concerning her book Waiting with Purpose.
With Cynthia Gniadek on “I Thought You’d Like to Know This” on WCAT Radio (January 22, 2018) concerning her book Waiting with Purpose.
With Mary Schwarz on “Rivers of Living Water” on WCAT Radio (May 4, 2017) concerning her book From Grief to Grace: The Journey from Tragedy to Triumph
Journey Home on October 16, 2017.
- Why do you think a book about the spirituality of waiting is important in our modern age? In our modern age, many people have lost the sense of waiting with God and instead think they must attain everything through their own merit. They often think that waiting is nothing more than stillness and boredom–perhaps even frustration–but for Christians, waiting is much more than that; it’s an experience that becomes spiritual when done with God. It entails hope and faith, and it can help perfect us spiritually as we prepare for the next step in God’s mission for us.
- What did you benefit from most by reading Waiting with Purpose? This book helped me see how God was with me during times of desert waiting. I also was inspired to be more grateful for all the small ways God works in my life. Applying one of Jeannie’s stories to my own life, my husband and I started a gratitude jar after reading about Jeannie’s experience with one. This gratitude jar has helped us see God working in our daily lives.
- What makes Waiting with Purpose stand out among similar books on the market today? No author has taken up the topic of waiting like Jeannie. Her writing style is inspirational and engaging, and she knows how to connect with her audience by allowing them to share in her life through stories and insights that they can relate to. By the end of the book, readers can feel like they’ve caught a glimpse into the life of Jeannie Ewing, and at the same time, they can feel inspired to go out and live their own lives with God in a deeper, more meaningful way. Thanks to Jeannie, they are ready and eager to find out how God will work next in their lives.
- How can readers apply the principles in the book to their own busy lives? Earnest readers will take the time to stop and ponder their lives in light of the insights about waiting they receive as they make their way through the book. These readers will find themselves ready to listen, ponder, pray, prepare, and act during times of waiting.
- What’s the primary reason you would recommend this book to readers? This book helps us see why waiting is not a bad thing. In fact. it’s a good thing for those of us who care about spiritual perfection. This book helps us see God during those times of waiting when we otherwise would see only darkness and desolation. This book brings hope and consolation.
- What people, saints, or devotions inspired you while writing this book? My spiritual director had mentioned Henri Nouwen’s “The Spirituality of Waiting,” which was a document she had in PDF form. After reading it, I was intrigued about the concept of a spirituality of waiting and wanted to know more. Truthfully, I got a lot of good substance from this short essay alone, but I did end up reading W.H. Vanstone’s The Stature of Waiting, which was also a philosophical gem during the process of gathering information about what God may want to teach us during times of seeming nothingness. I think it was Providential that I started this process of thinking, praying about, and organizing information about waiting during Advent. There was so much in daily Scripture about waiting with joyful hope, waiting for God’s timing, etc. It was just a theme that kept coming to me over and over, everywhere I looked.
- How has writing the book changed your life? I’ve written four books to date and am in the process of working on two more. Most of my books deal with the theme of grief and suffering, which is an important topic but also an arduous one to write about. Waiting with Purpose was a joy to write, probably my favorite book I’ve written to date, because it was so revealing. I felt excited that the Lord showed me so much about waiting – enough to comprise a book – and knew He wanted the message to be shared with others. Somehow, I knew I had stumbled upon a rare gem of knowledge with the book’s content.
- How can this book help readers overcome the fear that they might fail if they choose the path of waiting? I think a lot of our waiting experiences are not chosen. They simply happen to us. That’s something I learned while writing the book. We can’t control most of life. We can choose how we respond to life, but we can’t control everything that happens to us. Waiting with Purpose will encourage the reader when s/he is in a place of struggle where nothing seems to be moving forward, where life seems stagnant, or even during the mundane drudgery of waiting in exam rooms, standing in a long line at a retailer or grocer, etc. We can use our times of waiting to be spiritually productive, to elevate our minds and hearts to God through silent prayer.
- What did you enjoy most about writing the book? I enjoyed knowing that nothing like this book had ever been written before, believing that it is a timeless message that people generations from now will still find relevant.
- What do you enjoy doing when you are not writing? I am an avid reader. I also love spending time outdoors with my dog and girls. My husband and I enjoy visiting wineries when we go on the occasional weekend getaway. And I scrap book about twice per year, accessing the more visually creative side of me. But writing comprises most of my free time. It is both a gift I’ve been given and one I love to share with others.
Habakkuk 2: 1-4
- I will stand at my guard post, and station myself upon the rampart; I will keep watch to see what he will say to me, and what answer he will give to my complaint.
- Then the LORD answered me and said: Write down the vision; Make it plain upon tablets, so that the one who reads it may run.
- For the vision is a witness for the appointed time, a testimony to the end; it will not disappoint. If it delays, wait for it, it will surely come, it will not be late.
- See, the rash have no integrity; but the just one who is righteous because of faith shall live.
In this culturally relevant work, Jeannie Ewing teaches readers the meaning of waiting and how waiting for a spouse chosen by God involves a journey with God in the spiritual life. If God’s timing is perfect, why not wait? Jeannie helps us to see why waiting for God’s time is a time worth waiting for—a time of both hardship and blessings as we chase God’s dream for us. – Cynthia Gniadek, adjunct faculty, Holy Apostles College & Seminary, Cromwell, CT
“With beautiful prose, Ewing has crafted one of the most personal and insightful works of spirituality in recent memory. Prepare yourself to be both challenged and deeply consoled.” – Shane Kapler, author of Marrying the Rosary to the Divine Mercy Chaplet and Through, With, and In Him
“Winter waiting, desert waiting, active waiting, passive waiting, missional loneliness, and more – this book presents a theology of waiting that can turn everything from annoying moments in some line or traffic jam to decades of anticipation of God’s plan for your life into matchless opportunities for ongoing spiritual renewal and growth. Please pardon the paradox, but don’t wait to absorb the beautiful, practical lessons of Jeannie Ewing’s Waiting With Purpose: When God Says ‘Not Yet.’” – Kevin Vost, Psy.D, author of Memorize the Mass! and The Catholic Guide to Loneliness
There is much to say about Ewing’s book–that it is, for example, wise, insightful, and manages to say ancient truths of the spiritual life with sweet, new light–but it is most important to say that it is a book that has been decisively helpful for me in my own season of difficult waiting. Many will enjoy and benefit from the calm, steady wisdom found in Waiting With Purpose. – Kathleen Wolfe, post-graduate student at Holy Apostles College and Seminary, Cromwell, CT
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jeannie Ewing believes the world ignores and rejects the value of the Cross. She writes about the hidden value of suffering and even discovering joy in the midst of grief.
Jeannie is a frequent guest on Catholic radio and contributes to several online and print Catholic magazines.
She, her husband, and three daughters live in northern Indiana.
For more information, please visit her website lovealonecreates.com.
OTHER POPULAR SPIRITUALITY BOOKS
Simple Holiness by Albert E. Hughes and Ronda Chervin We all are called to holiness, but we may not know what holiness means or how to approach it. Do you really desire to climb the ladder of holiness? Do you seek a life of spiritual joy in union with God,...read more
COMING SOON! Memorize the Latin Mass! by Kevin Vost, Psy.D. In Memorize the Latin Mass! Dr. Kevin Vost harnesses the powerful memory methods of Sts. Albert the Great and Thomas Aquinas to help readers learn and remember all the parts and rites...read more
COMING SOON! The Ways of Love: Transforming the Person, A Guided Hundred Day Journal by Stephen Bujno The desire to change those around us is like willing others to go on a diet. The Ways of Love offers itself as an uncomplicated, yet profound...read more
COMING SOON! The Family on Pilgrimage: God Leads Through Dead Ends by Francis Etheredge Restless, bitter beyond hope, an unconscious pilgrim becomes conscious at forty that failing to find himself was the moment God awaited to give a sinner the...read more
Becoming a Handmaid of the Lord From the journals of Ronda De Sola Chervin (written between 1977-1996), this autobiographical book explores a life of love and loss from a widow, mother, grandmother, professor of philosophy and theology, an international...read more
The Fabric of Our Lives Assembled and Edited by Dr. Ronda Chervin Reading the Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan, Ronda was moved by the ‘everywoman’ quality of that montage of memoirs of Chinese-American women. Years later, while patching together a quilt for her...read more
Seeking Christ in the Crosses & Joys of Aging by Dr. Ronda Chervin Seeking Christ in the Crosses & Joys of Aging is a refreshing and inspiring look at a period of your life ‘en route to eternity’ where Jesus awaits you in a new way. A perfect gift also for...read more
Healing Meditations from the Gospel of St. John Healing Meditations from the Gospel of St. John is about recovering who we are . . . our true selves. Simply put, the true self is the self that God wants us to be, what Kierkegaard called God’s prophesy for...read more
Holding Hands with God Edited by Dr. Ronda Chervin Miscarriage, depression, breast cancer, abuse, divorce, addiction, and other specific personal, chronic problems touch the lives of many Catholic women. While expert advice is plentiful, what so many women...read more
Quotable Saints Ed. Dr. Ronda Chervin These memorable quotes of the saints and hundreds more are uniquely organized by theme in this uplifting treasury. In each chapter, you follow a particular theme and journey with the saints as they provide just the...read more
St. Robert Bellarmine by Shaun McAfee St. Robert Bellarmine (1542-1621) was a prolific author of the Counter Reformation and great defender of the Catholic Church. This book tells the story of the great saint who went from obscure title to become one of...read more
Today Someone I Love Passed Away by Dianne Ahern Danny becomes enraged when he learns he has to give up his room so Grandpa Vernon can come live with his family. However, as time passes, Danny and his siblings develop a deep love for their grandfather who...read more
Today We Became Engaged by Dianne Ahern A thoughtful, romantic, faith-centered, keepsake book for couples discerning marriage. Discusses the power of love, the importance of shared values and more. This is a marriage planner…not a wedding planner! Allows...read more
Memorize the Mass! by Dr. Kevin Vost A downed U.S. fighter pilot survived nearly eight years in a brutal North Vietnamese POW camp by repeating the Mass to himself each day, in Latin and in English. A Maryknoll bishop survived nearly a dozen years confined...read more
Raising Kids with a Healthy Body Image: A Guide for Catholic Parents by Dr. John C. Acquaviva Raising Kids with a Healthy Body Image: A Guide for Catholic Parents is the unique approach to the body image crisis that impacts many children. From a young age,...read more
Healing from Heaven by Dr. Suzanne R. Jamail This is my private journal, written during a difficult period of my life. The economy was poor, business was slow. The recession ravaged my private practice as a clinical psychologist. Thrown overboard into a...read more
Healing of Rejection with the Help of the Lord, A Survivor’s Guide by Dr. Ronda Chervin “The stone the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. By the LORD has this been done; it is wonderful in our eyes.” Psalm 118: 22-23. Dr. Ronda Chervin’s Healing...read more
Marrying the Rosary to the Divine Mercy Chaplet by Shane Kapler Discover the rewards of uniting two of the Catholic Church’s most beloved devotions. In this new book, Shane Kapler provides 20 reflections - paired with 40 classic works of art -...read more
Taming the Lion Within: 5 Steps from Anger to Peace by Dr. Ronda Chervin Five steps to help people overcome uncontrolled or over-reactive anger. Steps include admitting being angry person: identifying the anger: physical, psychological and spiritual...read more
The Prayer of Jesus Crucified: A Simple Way to Go Further in Prayer by Fr. Larry Tucker, SOLT Description: In a world where so many people are looking for a way out . . . an escape . . . and finding only pain and disillusionment, The Prayer of Jesus...read more
Adventures in the Father’s Joy: Mission Stories for The New Evangelization by Fr. Lawrence Tucker, SOLT As Pope Francis point’s out in The Joy of the Gospel, “If we want to advance in the spiritual life, then, we must constantly be...read more
EARN COMMISSIONS (by BECOMING A SALES-REP): See more info (20-lines below) Increase the print size by pinching out on your mobile device or pressing CTRL and the + sign. Blessings! Tony’s 50,000 Co-Incidence Miracles by Anthony F.J. Coscia GOD DEFINITELY...read more
Canticle of Returning by William J. Brown A celebrated tax law professor leaves the classroom to embark on a journey to a place that is both familiar and somehow new to him. In this book—part memoir, part devotional—he shares his transformation from a...read more
Cry Oneness by Joe Avalos I was spiritually dead, despite all the things I was doing with my life. I don’t think there’s a worse death that can happen to any human being. Now I have a Life beyond my dreams. Full of Miracles, Poetry, and Locutions. This...read more
Diamonds in the Rough: Homilies and Reflections on the Mystery of Suffering Sister Paula J. Miller, FSE, Editor Theologians in their final months at St. Vincent de Paul Regional Seminary, Boynton Beach, Florida, reflect on the meaning and purpose of human...read more
Apostles of Light of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: Offering Ourselves on the Altar of Mary’s Heart in Union with Jesus, for the Glory of God & the Salvation of Souls
Apostles of Light of the Immaculate Heart of Mary: Offering Ourselves on the Altar of Mary’s Heart in Union with Jesus, for the Glory of God & the Salvation of Souls by Jayson M. Brunelle If you like this one, you might consider also buying Jayson’s The...read more
Escaping Anxiety Along the Road to Spiritual Joy by Albert E. Hughes and Ronda Chervin Escaping Anxiety along the Road to Spiritual Joy is not a “simple” book of advice, which could turn out to be ineffective because too “pat.” Instead it evolved into...read more
COMING SOON! Trinity Footprints by Roger Skrenes God’s footprints are revealed in the 3 in1 characteristic of his Being.This book will examine signs of the triune God in our world. Paperback $14.95 | Kindle $9.95 INTERVIEWS...read more
COMING SOON! Check back when this book is published. TESTIMONIALS COMING SOON ABOUT THE AUTHOR Dr. Sebastian Mahfood, OP, is Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies at Holy Apostles College & Seminary in Cromwell, CT. He first...read more
Weeping with Jesus: The Journey from Grief to Hope by Dr. Ronda Chervin In the past the word grief was used only to describe the sorrow of loss through death. Nowadays pain coming from other kinds of losses such as rejection and divorce are also seen to...read more
Bereavement Miracles by Michael Frey The Bereavement Miracles program was designed to play a quintessential role in evangelizing the “spirit of mission” to individuals who are suffering from the death of a loved one by relating eternal realities in a...read more
In Praise of Life by Dr. Donald DeMarco This book illustrates how ten different factors can improve our appreciation of life: Evolution prepares it, Meaning justifies it, Love enhances it, Truth directs it, Freedom crowns it, Virtue strengthens it,...read more
How to Flourish in a Fallen World by Dr. Donald DeMarco How to Flourish in a Fallen World, by Donald DeMarco, engages the reader in an understanding of our common human nature and the problems it faces in a culture that actively pursues, to put it in Saint...read more
Spirituality for All Times: Readings from the Catholic Classics Spirituality for All Times is offered in the hope that it will inspire those who seek a deeper union with God. The authors have chosen to offer short selections to enable the reader to wade in...read more
The Jesus Code: In the Beginning was the Word by Roger Skrenes Jesus is the only person in the history of the world whose biography was known before he was born! He wanted everyone on earth to know of this miraculous Old Testament portrait of himself (Luke...read more
The Path of Spiritual Happiness by Dr. Heather M. Erb This book is a story of the unfolding triumph of Christian happiness as a philosophy of life. We begin with ancient Greek roots and principles provided us by Aristotle, ‘the master of those who know.’...read more
Eyewitnesses: Biblical Foundations in Christian Spirituality – Ed. by Fr. John Horn, S.J. St. Paul prays with ardent desire that “the eyes of our understanding would be enlightened, that we might know what is the hope of the risen Jesus’ calling, and what...read more
The Way of Love: The Path of Inner Transformation by Dr. Ronda Chervin A reprint of Dr. Ronda's The Way of Love: The Battle for Inner Transformation, this new edition under a new subtitle puts back in front of the world the nature of human love alongside...read more
Fun is Not Enough by Fr. Francis Canavan, SJ Francis Canavan, S.J., was a professor of political science, a leading Edmund Burke scholar, and an essayist whose thoughts on faith, politics, and culture earned him accolades from many prominent Catholic minds...read more
Does God Exist? A Socratic Dialogue on the Five Ways of Thomas Aquinas by Matt Fradd and Robert Delfino If you want an easy and fun way to understand St. Thomas Aquinas’s five arguments for the existence of God, this book is for you. Written as dialogue...read more
99 Ways to Teach Like the Master by T.J. Burdick 99 Ways to Teach Like the Master is a journey into the instructive techniques of Jesus. By learning from the Master, we can learn better how to communicate and impart knowledge to others. Whether it is for...read more
COMING SOON! Nonsense to Horse-Sense by Dave Basconi This book has been in the works for a decade; I just didn’t know it. Events happened that, when looked back upon, were minor and drew no special attention, but each had a major impact on its...read more